Q: I noticed my starter sounds like it's having trouble catching the engine. is it the starter or just the solenoid?

asked by on March 07, 2018

the last few times I started my car, the starter sounds like it's having a problem catching into the engine. I've had to have the solenoid replaced before, but I don't know if the whole thing has to be fixed or maybe it's just the cold weather.

I know it's not the battery since it's new. Once it starts it's just fine. I'm trying to narrow it down, so I don't waste time or money on it if it doesn't need it.

Car is hard to start Inspection $79.99 - $99.99 Get a Quote

Hi Karla. Thanks for contacting us tonight. If the starter solenoid has been changed before the actual starter has been, it’s likely that the starter is what’s causing the gear to have issues connecting to the flywheel. However, before you attempt any repairs, it would be best to have this inspected by a professional mechanic - so you ensure the right repairs are completed.

Experienced Mechanic?

Earn up to $70/hr