Q: I know nothing about transmissions

My car has no reverse. It will move forward. Can I drive it across town about 20 miles to a repair shop or will this make whatever is wrong worse?

Unless you are hearing unusual noises in the forward gears, it is safe to drive the car to the repair shop. Be sure you get a credible diagnosis as well as a detailed, itemized estimate, and you should ask for and retain any "parts" that are moved from your transmission and replaced. Ask about warranty as well.

Just keep your eyes and ears open - you could have a simple issue like a maladjusted transmission linkage or a sticky valve in the valve body, or you could have a more complex, costly problem (due to the labor involved) like a failed clutch piston or band.

In all events, just be sure to ask lots of questions and if what you are told is not intelligible to you, try a different shop or mechanic. By asking questions, you want to see if THEY actually know what they are doing and one way to find out is if they can provide a diagnosis in terms that you can understand. Don’t forget to ask for your old parts!

If you would rather have a professional come to you, then you can enlist the assistance of a certified technician from YourMechanic to come to your car’s location and diagnose the transmission problem for you.

3. I know nothing about transmissions