Q: I have an 2004 honda civic that honks repeatedly when using the keyless entry.

asked by on February 17, 2017

When you turn off the car and get out and shut the door it honks 3 times (at 10 second intervals) unless you use the fob to lock it which makes it beep. Unlocking with the fob causes it to honk twice. Starting the automatic car starter causes it to honk. It's loud and annoying and can be quite startling causing my neighbors to complain. Can someone help me.

Hello, and thank you for writing in. The vehicle is programmed to honk under certain circumstances. There is no way to stop the honking unless you change your behavior when using the key fob, and even then, there are honks that will be inevitable. For example, if you want the vehicle to only honk once when you exit, manually lock the doors with the fob, and it will not alert you that the doors are locking on their own. If you use the remote start to warm up the vehicle, it will honk at you depending on how much time you spend letting it warm up. If you think there is some kind of programming error with the system, then your best bet is to meet with a technician, or possibly go to the dealership where they have the software to deal with programming issues. For more help, or if you think there is something wrong with the system, contact our service department.