Q: I have a 2004 Ford Freestar. I just recently had the transmission fluid changed. Now my van won't go into gear. Did that possibly

asked by on December 05, 2017

I just recently had the transmission fluid changed and now my car won't go into gear. Could this have caused my transmission to slip or will I need a new one

Car does not shift from park to drive Inspection $79.99 - $99.99 Get a Quote

Changing the transmission fluid will not typically cause the transmission to fail. You should check the fluid level. If the level is too low, the transmission will malfunction. There are also external faults, such as problems with the shift linkage, that can cause failure to shift into drive. What you should do is obtain a diagnostic - YourMechanic offers a transmission shift diagnostic - and once you have something conclusive in hand as to the cause you will be a better position to evaluate your repair options. Keep in mind, the cause of the problem could be something simple: a linkage, a blocked filter (no fluid flow means no movement in any gear), low fluid and even if internal, transmissions are successfully repaired every day so you needn’t worry. If you request the recommended diagnostic, the responding certified mechanic will identify the issue and get this taken care of for you. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic as we are always here to help you.

Experienced Mechanic?

Earn up to $70/hr