Q: I got a diagnostics back from firestone as I went to get my oil change. I was told the belts were soaked with oil from an oil leak

asked by on March 31, 2017

Is there anything I can use temporarily from stopping the belt from cracking?

Hello, thank you for writing in. The belts are designed to be clean, dry, and tight. There are no products or aftermarket sealers that will keep the oil from negatively impacting the drive belt. With that being said, you may be able to find an oil additive geared towards helping stop the oil leak. You need to be careful with these products, as they can cause other issues with the engine, and even cost you more money down the road. The catch is that you need to buy a quality oil additive, and for a similar price, you may be able to replace the leaking component(s) (depending on the cause of the leak). Again, you want to be careful with this, and you want to keep an eye and ear on that drive belt when the car is running. If the belt shoots off at 2000+ RPMs, it can do further damage to the components around it. For more help resolving the leak, contact our service department to schedule an appointment.