Q: I feel a shimmy on the brake pedal a bit when I brake at high speeds. Does this mean the brakes should be changed?

There's a shimmy when I brake at high speeds. Will the brakes need to be replaced soon? If so, only the brake shoes or the drums and rotors as well?

A: Usually when the steering wheel shakes duri...

Usually when the steering wheel shakes during braking, it is caused by a warped rotor or drum. It could also be that there is fluid leaking onto the brakes and it causes them to grab intermittently. A brake inspection will tell you if it is a leak. There are other possible causes for a brake vibration, but an inspection will be the best bet. If you would like, this inspection can be performed by a certified technician from YourMechanic, who can come to your home or place of business at the convenience of your schedule.