Q: I changed the battery in my ford explorer 2013 and the lights and radio work but it won't start. It says to push the brake but it won't work.

asked by on December 27, 2016

I changed the battery. I went to try to start it and the lights and radio came on. There were warnings coming up which the book said would happen. The car is a button start. I pushed in the break to start it and pushed the button. Nothing happened. A sign came up to push the break. I push it but nothing happens. It is like it does not recognize me pushing the break. The break is harder than usual also. What do I need to do? 2013 ford explorer.

Brake Light Switch Replacement $90.34 - $168.55 Get a Quote

Hi there. Check to see if the battery cables are tight. If the cables are tight, then check the brake switch on the brake pedal. It may not be responding to the computer as it could be damaged or shorted. Check the fuse box for any blown fuses and see if there is any burnt wires leading up to the brake switch. The computer has detected that the brake switch is not working and when you step on the brake pedal to start the engine, the message on the dash should go away but its not. If you need further assistance with getting your engine to start, then seek out a professional, such as one from Your Mechanic, to help you.