Q: I accidentally put diesel in a gas tank and drove like for 2 blocks.then it stoped.it does start up but does it completely. And si

asked by on March 04, 2018

So I accidentally put diesel in my gas tank and drove it about 2 blocks.it was pretty empty so the only thing in the tank is just the diesel. Then it kind of stuttered and stoped.becouse I didn't realize the reason I tried it again..then it kind start but not completely then I stoped in the middle of the road and called for a tow truck. When I spoke with tow truck driver that s when I realized I might of put diesel instead. So since it's Sunday all the auto repairs er not working so he unloaded the the car nd the manger in repair shop says it 'll stay like that over night and they 'll work on it the next day morning .I m just worried if my inattentive act cost me alot.the tow truck driver said I might need a new engine if so don't know what to do.please advise.

The fuel system will have to be thoroughly cleaned and that’s about it. A gasoline engine will not run on diesel. Your car was running during those 2 blocks on the gasoline that was in the fuel lines. Once the diesel was drawn into the system by the fuel pump your engine shut down. There is no engine damage but the tank will have to emptied, all lines purged including the fuel rail, the fuel filter changed (if the filter is external) and best practice would be to remove all of the fuel injectors from the fuel rail and send them to a lab, such as Mr. Injector, for cleaning and replacement of the internal filter baskets in the injectors. On car cleaning of injectors is not nearly as good as off car cleaning in a special purpose ultrasonic cleaning machine and on car cleaning will not clean, let alone replace the tiny internal filter in each injector. The filters need to be replaced. The refurbishment of your fuel system can be performed as a mobile service, at your location, if you desire. To obtain a quote, please use the request service link and the responding certified mechanic will get this taken care of for you. If you have any further questions, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic as we are always here to help you.