Q: Humming noise on left turn or curve but goes away on right turn or curve.

My car makes a humming sound when going straight or on a left turn or curve. The sound goes away on a right turn or curve. It doesn't pull to either side. Any ideas. Don't know where to start looking.

In all probability, a wheel bearing on the right side of your car is faulty, probably the front right wheel bearing. The reason that the bearing noise goes away on right turns (or curves) is during that maneuver the weight of the vehicle shifts from the right to the left and that "unloading" of the right side wheel position takes some of the vehicle weight off of the right wheel bearing, usually just enough to make the noise go away. Indeed, the maneuver you are describing is the principal technique used in the field to figure out which side of the car the failed bearing is on (you just saved the diagnostic fee!). To schedule convenient, expert installation right at your location, please refer to YourMechanic’s bearing replacement service page. That page will also generate a detailed, itemized repair quote. The mechanic will, of course, carefully confirm the fault prior to installation and answer any detailed questions that you have. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic because we want you to make the most of your repair dollars and help you to get the best possible results.

3. Humming noise on left turn or curve but goes away on right turn or curve.