Q: How do I operate the seat belts?

How do I operate the seat belts?

A: If used correctly, seat belts represent the...

If used correctly, seat belts represent the vehicle occupant’s best line of defense in the case of an accident or collision. Modern vehicles utilize 3-point seat belts in which one point is a latch that can be fastened to a buckle located by the seat, positioned so the belt will stretch diagonally across the chest and horizontally across the hips. Fastening the belt is simple:

1. From the seat, the seat belt appears to be a wide nylon band stretched floor to headliner on one side of your seat. Grasp the latch plate, the part that will be inserted into the buckle. The part of the latch plate attached to the belt is covered in plastic and is made to be grasped by the person fastening the seat belt.

2. Making sure not to twist or tangle the belt, pull the latch plate diagonally across your body, making the lap belt extend over both hips. Insert the latch plate into the buckle near the seat to fasten the belt. Make sure the upper portion of the belt is resting on your shoulder and not your neck or arm.

3. Once the vehicle has stopped and the seat belt needs to be removed, pressing a button on the buckle will release the latch plate from the buckle. The seat belt should automatically retract when it the latch plate is released.

Tips

• The seat belt will lock in place if pulled to hard, as it is designed to do so in case of an accident. If this happens while pulling the belt across your body, back off slightly on the belt and tilt the latch plate slightly to pull it over to the buckle.

• A seat belt extender is available if the stock length of the seat belt is not sufficient for passenger comfort.