Q: How do I install a forward-facing car seat?

How do I install a forward-facing car seat?

If your child has graduated from a rear-facing car seat, the next step is to install a front-facing car seat. You can install these with either the seat belt, or the Lower Anchors and Tethers for CHildren (LATCH) system (depending on the car seat you purchase). Here’s what you need to know about installing it with the seat belt only:

1. Place the car seat in the second row seat.

2. Pull the lap/shoulder belt combo out and route it behind the seat through the securing brackets.

3. Buckle the seat belt.

4. Pull the shoulder belt all the way out of the retractor.

5. Let it retract a little to engage the automatic locking retractor.

6. Pull all the slack out of the seat belt.

7. Check that the car seat is secure.

3. How do I install a forward-facing car seat?