Q: How do I change modes with the engine start/stop switch?

How do I change modes with the engine start/stop switch?

A: If your car is equipped with the smart key ...

If your car is equipped with the smart key system, it means that you have a start/stop switch rather than a conventional ignition switch. This allows you to crank the engine from all positions by pressing the button (with your foot on the brake). However, you still have all the regular ignition switch positions. To change modes/positions, just press the start/stop button briefly. Here’s what each mode does:

• Off: The engine is off and no accessories can be used other than your hazard lights.

• Accessory: In this mode, you can listen to the radio and some other components can be used. The light on the start/stop switch should be amber.

• On: In this mode, all of the car’s electronics will activate. The light on the switch should be amber.

Tips

• Press the start/stop button with your foot on the brake to crank the engine in any of these modes.

• If you don’t put the car in park before shutting off the engine, the start/stop switch will default to accessory mode.