Q: Hi Roberts. How would you rate a Subaru Outback battery compared with consumer reports best rated battery like diehard, and others

Yesterday I had to call aaa for a jumpstart. Battery went dead after listening 15 - minutes radio with engine off . Now is working ok. Do I need to change battery or can I still count on it. I checked consumer report for battery rating and Diehard is one of top rated. I also called my Subaru service adviser and he said they sell only Subaru brand battery for 180.00 plus tax with only 12 months full replacement warranty. Which battery would you recommend? Thanks. Regards

The very first thing to do is have the battery load tested. If the battery passes a load test be sure it is NOT a marginal pass in which case you should simply install a new battery to reduce diagnostic headaches. As far as buying a new battery, there are actually relatively few battery manufacturers and so a lot of the output is identical but just carries a different brand name. You would be wise to consult "Consumer Reports", as they have already done all of the required battery research for you and so you can safely and reliably purchase whatever they deem to be a top rated battery. If and once you replace the battery, be sure to measure the output of the charging system to confirm that the alternator is properly re-charging the battery. Please let us know if you have further concerns or questions as we are always here to help you.

3. Hi Roberts. How would you rate a Subaru Outback battery compared with consumer reports best rated battery like diehard, and others