Q: Heater making loud rumbling noise when on high 1996 Saturn SL2

asked by on March 01, 2017

Recently had my blower motor and resistor replaced by my usual mechanic I make appointments with on this site. Recently I've started hearing a kind of loud rumbling or growling noise while the heat is on high while inside the car, the noise goes away when I turn the heat down to a lower blower setting. This doesn't appear to be affecting the engine in anyway but noise only seems to happen when the heat is on high. Any help as to a possible diagnosis?

Thanks

Hi there - I believe the heater fan motor bearings are shot, and that’s the noise you hear - increasing noise level as fan speed goes up. These bearings are generally not serviceable, and the fan motor should be replaced. I recommend a fan blower motor replacement performed by a mobile, professional mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, who will come to your location, diagnose this problem, and give you an accurate assessment of damage and cost estimate for repairs.