Q: Hard to get car in reverse once it goes in its fine but hard to get in.at first it was fine and gradually got worse

asked by on July 11, 2017

Ok I bought this car four months ago I knew it had a few issues. I change the catylatic converter map sensor throttle position sensor o2 sensors coil pack and all the basic maintenance. Ok I got the car it was great reverse worked great still does its just hard to get in reverse. Oh I do know the previous owner had just had the clutch changed. Ok gradually it started getting harder and harder to get in reverse. Like o said reverse isn't bad it is strong once I get it in reverse. Now I can't really get it in at all every once in a while but I have to mess with it it just goes into fourth otherwise. I do think mabie the slave cylinder may b going bad cause sumtimes I have trou le shifting from gear to gear but it's not bad at all that's rare. I'm just trying to fix it I'm gonna need inspection in October and no reverse is not a good thing . Lol. Ok ID appreciate if u could help with this any suggestions or answers would b great. Thanks Chris Ankets

This may suggest the transmission synchros may be wearing out. Your transmission has small gear synchronizer rings that help to move the transmission in and out of the various gears. When these begin to wear out, you may notice it hard to shift in and out of gears as you describe. You may also occasionally hear a bit of a grinding sound when trying to shift from gear to gear. I would recommend having an expert from YourMechanic come to your location to diagnose and inspect your transmission.