Q: Good morning Joseph. I have a 2009 Murano that needs a radiator replaced. The dealer wants to charge me $980. Are you available?

My service engine light came on, took car to dealer and was told i need to replace radiator. P1217 code was displayed.

Yes, available. To request service and obtain the exact cost, please use YourMechanic’s radiator replacement service page. Code P1217 can set due to other cooling system faults so I hope ALL other potential causes have been ruled out so that the repair is maximally effective for you. Broadly, the other causes are a faulty thermostat, cooling fan motor, cooling fan harness is open or shorted, Engine Control Module (ECM) program (updates?), leaking radiator hose, faulty radiator cap, and water pump issues (including inadequate drive belt tension). If your thermostat is original, when replacing the radiator, it is absolutely recommended to replace the thermostat, using ONLY an OEM Nissan thermostat, especially if the car was overheating. the problem is overheating itself can damage the thermostat, thus setting you up for problems even if the radiator was the sole INITIAL cause of the overheating. If you have further questions or concerns as you decide what to do, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic because we want you to make the most of your repair dollars and help you get the best possible results.

• Good morning Joseph. I have a 2009 Murano that needs a radiator replaced. The dealer wants to charge me $980. Are you available?