Q: Glow plug

My glow plug light comes on while I'm driving the car and it gos into limp mode but when I stop and start the engin it goes away help

A: Like the Check Engine Light, the glow plug ...

Like the Check Engine Light, the glow plug light on late model diesels can come on to indicate a problem in the engine control system. Even when the light is out, there should be a trouble code stored in the system that can be retrieved. The codes can be read by a scan tool with the appropriate software.

Some auto parts stores use generic OBD scanners to read the codes in customer's cars, but certain information is not available to generic scanners that can be picked up with model appropriate software used by professionals. If you would like to have this taken care of, a qualified professional from YourMechanic can come to your car's location to diagnose the glow plug light and assist with repairs.