Q: Q: Fuel pump

Should fuel pump whizz for a couple seconds everytime you turn the key on. Even if repeatedly. It seems it does it once and then I have to tap or hit fuel pump to make it work again . Although if you try to crank it fuel comes out every time. It will not start

My car has 990000 miles. The car started by sputtering and losing power till it finally quit . It wouldn't start. Came back couple of hours later and it started briefly and then quit before I could even move it. Now won't start at all. Had it towed and my questions above all stem from these incidents.

3. Q: Fuel pump