Q: Fuel pump

Should fuel pump whizz for a couple seconds everytime you turn the key on. Even if repeatedly. It seems it does it once and then I have to tap or hit fuel pump to make it work again . Although if you try to crank it fuel comes out every time. It will not start

My car has 990000 miles. The car started by sputtering and losing power till it finally quit . It wouldn't start. Came back couple of hours later and it started briefly and then quit before I could even move it. Now won't start at all. Had it towed and my questions above all stem from these incidents.

A: Hello. From what you describe it would app...

Hello. From what you describe it would appear that your fuel pump may be going bad or experiencing electrical issues. If the problem appears to be getting progressively worse, until the vehicle no longer starts then it may be possible that the fuel pump has simply gone out and needs to be replaced. There are cases where the fuel pump may still function and produce fuel pressure, however it may not be enough for the vehicle to run or start properly. A fuel pressure test would reveal if the pump is providing enough pressure for the system. I would recommend having a professional technician, such as one from YourMechanic, come to your location to [determine if the fuel pump needs to be replaced]((https://www.yourmechanic.com/services/check-engine-light-is-on-inspection).