Q: Fuel gauge stopped working.

I drove to work this morning and the fuel gauge showed 3/4 tank, no problems. Started the truck an hour later and the gauge showed empty and the gas light came on. I know the truck has gas in it. What can I do to check to see why the problem is?

Hello. This is likely a sign of a faulty fuel sending unit. This is a unit inside the fuel tank that measures the fuel level inside the tank and relays this info to the ECU which then transmits this to the gauge as a readout as to the level. It can be a fairly big job to replace this as it requires dropping the fuel tank to get to it. If you need to have this taken care of, a qualified professional from YourMechanic can come to your car’s location to verify the problem and replace the fuel sending unit if necessary.

3. Fuel gauge stopped working.