Q: Fuel gauge and tank not holding enough

asked by on November 20, 2016

Recently got this trailblazer from a buy here pay here near me was only aware of a problem with a wheel barring. Fuel gauge read empty when we took it from the lot went to put gas in it and could only get about $10 in then it wouldn't take anymore like it was full. Then realized the gas gauge still reads empty. So I dunno if it's full and that's why it only took $10 and just has a problem with the fuel gauge or could it have another problem that would cause the tank to not hold much gas? How should I deal with this and what can I do to know how much gas is in it so I don't run out? Any advice is appreciated thanks

The most common problem is the fuel pump sending unit is bad in the fuel tank. The fuel gauge may also be bad in the dash. The best and quickest way to test the gauge is to disconnect the connection at the fuel pump and see if the fuel gauge moves when you turn on the key. If you see some gauge movement then the fuel pump and sender will need to be removed and the sending unit tested. Sometimes the sender gets caught when the fuel tank inside slosh panel is out of position and binds the sender holding it all the way empty. You would need to check all this when the fuel tank pump and sender is removed. If you need a mechanic like one from YourMechanic to come to you and remove the fuel pump and sender to test the sender operation, then just set an appointment for a mechanic to come to you.