Q: Fluid leak between engine and transmission possible slave cylinder

I have a 2010 Ford Mustang GT 5 speed manual transmission V8 4.6 Litre, I had the valve covers and timing chain cover gaskets replaced to remove front of car oil leak but now there's a puddle of fluid under the car which seems to be between the engine and transmission , I have 2 diagnoses from 2 different shops , one says it's the rear main seal the other transmission shop says it's the slave cylinder for the clutch, the car will not shift into 1-2 or reverse gears while cold but after few minutes of city driving it will shift normal , until it warms up I have to Use 3rd gear assume the slave cylinder / clutch needs replacement but is the slave cylinder failure causing the fluid leak I see between the engine and transmission? I have brand new synthetic manual transmission fluid and brand new synthetic engine oil I cannot differentiate between the two fluids leaking , I know failed slave cylinder leak fluid that's confused with rear main oil seal leak sometimes , what is leaking ?

A: First check the fluid level in the clutch m...

First check the fluid level in the clutch master cylinder to see if it is getting low. If it is low on fluid then you have a slave cylinder leaking. If the fluid does not go low then you do not have a slave cylinder leaking. To find out if it is the engine rear main or the front transmission seal leaking then I would suggest adding oil leaking detection dye to the engine oil and not the transmission. The dye will show up under a black light. This way you can see if the engine rear main is leaking if the dye in the oil shows up in a few days.