Q: Flooding killed the plugs

The truck had a blown head gasket took the heads to a machine shop checked for cracks resurfaced put them on back on started ran for a few minutes shut down no fuel searched showed shoed rusted up tank unit and fuel pump r& r that finished started run for a few minutes shut down flooded to much fuel killed the plugs what do you suggest I do next

My car's transmission is unknown to me.

A: Hello, In the future, please include the mo...

Hello, In the future, please include the model of Toyota you have as well as the motor. This information allows us to supply you with a more complete answer. Thanks.

First, it isn't necessary to replaced the spark plugs. They can be dried and will work just fine. The bigger problem when plugs get fouled is the cylinder has usually been so washed with fuel that the effective compression is reduced enough the motor won't start. To remedy this simply squirt some oil into each cylinder. This will allow the cylinder to build adequate compression. Rings are designed to run with a little oil on them to help with sealing the cylinder. Once it starts, expect there to be quite a bit of smoke from burning of the oil. This is normal and you will need to maintain a high idle while the oil is burning off.

The next question is why are the cylinders being washed? This can be determined by connecting a fuel pressure gauge, turning the key on, without starting the car and observing the fuel pressure. You may need to cycle the key a few times to build the fuel pressure. Once it does, observe it to see if the pressure bleeds off rapidly. If it does, the question now is where is it leaking internally in the fuel system. It can be a fuel injector, the fuel pump in the tank or the fuel pressure regulator. At this point you will need to isolate each part of the system to determine where the leak is occurring. The easiest way to do this is to pinch off the soft lines from the fuel tank to separate the front from the back.

If you determine there isn't a fuel system leak, the next question is why is the computer commanding so much fuel? Check for codes first as they can be valuable diagnostic information. The most common culprit on an older Toyota would be the MAF (mass air flow) sensor. Aside from this, which is often a very expensive part on older Toyota's, both because of what it is and scarcity, you will need an experienced technician to diagnose your car. OBD I cars can be challenging to diagnose.

A few things you can check are connectors at the MAF and other sensors. It is common that pins in connectors can get bent. Wiggling them around while connected is often a good method to find back connections.

I recommend you book the following inspection to help you out. Check engine light is on inspection I chose this inspection because the diagnostic process for your vehicle is the same.

Good luck!