Q: Code P1778.

failed smog data code P1778, open or short circuit condition, poor electrical connection, failed cvt unit code p1778 check engine lights

My car has an automatic transmission. 2004 nissan murano sl

A: Hello P1778 is the code for an issue with ...

Hello P1778 is the code for an issue with the stepper motor function. The CVT transmission on this vehicle uses a 4 position stepper motor to propel the vehicle. If the stepper motor goes bad, or has an issue it will set off the check engine light to notify the driver of the issue. Common causes for this are faults with transmission speed senors, with the stepper motor, with the CVT transmission itself, or the wiring to these components. In more serious cases a P1778 code can signal the need for a replacement CVT transmission. I would recommend having a professional technician, such as one from YourMechanic, come to your location to determine the cause of the trouble code, and what repairs should be made](https://www.yourmechanic.com/services/check-engine-light-is-on-inspection).