Q: Error code p144c

So for a few months when I would fill my tank up and then tried to get in and start it. The car would jump and have trouble firing up. This began to get worse over time. My car has been consuming more fuel than what I drive and finally my check engine comes on a couple days ago and the code is p144c

Hello, thank you for writing in. The code you are receiving pertains to the EVAP canister purge valve. This valve is one of the components that the computer tests immediately upon start up, and then continuously during operation. With that being said, there is a good chance the valve is stuck open or is sticking. The fuel tank may be suffering from pressure issues if this is the case. Therefore you will want to have this looked at as soon as possible. The other possible causes are issues with the fuel cap or filler nozzle. Both of them can leak air into the system. For more diagnostic help, and to resolve the issue, contact our service department to schedule an appointment.