Q: engine quits without warning

My car is in just about in perfect condition. The last couple of days my engine would turn off while I was driving down the road. I have to pull over to restart the car. I never had this problem before. It is scary because it turns off without warning. None of my check-engine lights or other warning lights come on. I have the origianl battery. It has 52,000 miles on it, and I bought it brand new. I am not driving tomorrow and taking it to the repair shop. Too scary to drive. Can you think of anything that might be causing this?

A: Alternators and fuel system issues are the ...

Alternators and fuel system issues are the most common causes of vehicles to die on the highway. The alternator failing basically causes the whole electrical system to quit working. This failure is usually accompanied by a red battery light illuminated on the dash.

Fuel system issues will just cause the engine to die due to the fact that an engine can not run without fuel. This issue however would almost certainly be associated with a Check Engine Light.

I recommend having a certified mechanic thoroughly inspect the fuel and electrical systems for damages or malfunctions. You'll be able to pinpoint your stalling issue by doing so.