Q: Engine overheated maybe, but now it’s broken

My 2012 Kia Sorento was running fine one second and the next second it was sputtering and steaming on the side of the road. I am very unhappy with this, this car only has 38,000 miles on it and the engine is totally destroyed. Is this a defect or am I just really unlucky? I don’t know where to go from here, not sure if the warranty will cover this. Mechanic thinks it ran out of oil and failed. How does that happen? There were no leaks.

Hello, engine failure can be very traumatic.

For an engine to run out of oil with no leaks, the engine must be using oil internally.

For the vehicle to be covered under warranty, all the oil changes must be performed at the correct intervals with the proper oil and filters. Because of longer warranty periods, it is common for dealers to ask for proof of this unless the changes were all performed at the dealership.

Take a look at your service booklet to see if you have followed all the service guidelines. If you feel that it should be covered by your warranty, have the vehicle taken to the dealer for an inspection.