Q: Engine emissions light

Vauxhall astra 55 plate 1.4. Car has service mot.. 2 days later car breakdown, garage says head gasket. Had that replaced, secondary exhaust gasket replaced, sump gasket replaced and a few other things. 3 days later again car breaks down. Explain all to recovery mechanic driver and he says it sounds like egr valve which would be connected to the gasket. Should this of been looked at when replacing the head gasket... Am I being ripped off by the garage.

A: If you feel the shop is not being fair then...

If you feel the shop is not being fair then try having another expert give it a second look. After a head is removed, there may have been some loose carbon that could have come loose and got into the EGR valve and cause the stall. Have a second look and see if valve is held open by carbon. The problem does not seem to be from the shop, but from an overheating head. If you’d like to have this taken care of, a qualified professional from YourMechanic can give the Emissions Light a second look to see what should be done.