Q: Emissions test

What does the dmv specifically inspect for an emissions test in Arizona?

According to the Arizona DMV website, the emissions test will perform the following during an inspection:

• On-Board Diagnostic (OBD) Test: OBD tests monitor vehicle components and evaluate any system problems.
  • Gas cap test: Makes sure the gas cap can maintain pressure in the fuel tank and lines.
  • Tailpipe test: Measures levels of hydrocarbon (HC), carbon monoxide (CO), and oxides of nitrogen (NOx) during certain operating conditions.
  • Smoke opacity test: Reserved for diesel vehicles and checks for visible pollutants from the exhaust plume.

Additional information regarding this can be found here on the Arizona DMV.