Q: Egnine cranks after it is started

Hi. The engine in my car occasionally cranks after it is turned on. It would continue cranking when I let go of the key and it can last only for a moment but sometimes I would have to turn the key back to stop it. I took it to several shops but it was working normally so they didn't diagnose the issue with the vehicle. Do you have any idea what could cause this? Thank you in advance.

A: Hello. Most of the time this is caused by a...

Hello. Most of the time this is caused by a bad starter relay. The relay sticks and causes this. It can be hard to diagnose if it is not occurring when it is tested. The relay is fairly cheap so if no problem can be found then I replace that. Otherwise it can be a sticking ignition switch or starter solenoid. If you want to have this diagnosed, consider YourMechanic, as a certified mechanic can come to your home or office to inspect the source of the issue.