Q: Does my water pump need to be replaced?

How can I tell if the water pump really needs to be replaced? Will it make some kind of noise when it goes bad? Or will the car just overheat? I bought the car in May 2016, I had a diagnostics done before I bought it and my mechanic said it possibly needed to be replaced soon, but didn't give any specifics.

A: Hi there, thanks for writing in. There are ...

Hi there, thanks for writing in. There are 3 really good ways to check if your water pump needs to be replaced.

First, visually inspect around the water pump looking for any signs of a leak. Water pump leaks, will not always make it to the ground, it can boil off due to the temperature of the engine. Look for spots outlined in white, which indicates coolant has boiled off or areas that dirt has accumulated.

Second, listen for a growling noise while the engine is running.

Third, with the engine off, remove the belt from the water pump pulley, try to move the fan back and forth, if there is any play in the fan that is a good indication that the water pump is bad and will need to be replaced.

If you would like help with this replacement, consider having an expert automotive technician from YourMechanic come to your home or office to perform the replacement for you.