Q: Does my vehicle have an oil pressure sender or oil pressure sensor or both and where is it located?

When truck gets to operating temp the oil pressure drops to 0-10 but jumps back to 40-60 while driving. There is no knocking or ticking and the oil level is good. My research points to the oil pressure sending unit or sensor. I would like to do the work myself but I do not have a pressure guage to check the pressure manually. I figured that I might replace one or both of the parts previously mentioned and if I can't track the problem then I will have to take it to a mechanic.

A: Your motor (454/7.4L Big Block Chevy) shoul...

Your motor (454/7.4L Big Block Chevy) should have an oil pressure sending unit that is typically mounted just above the oil filter housing. This is a relatively small unit (about the diameter or a quarter or slightly bigger) with threads going into the engine block and a line coming out of the other side of the unit. Your oil pressure fluctuation sounds like this may be a case of a failing sending unit. If you are not able to replace this on your own, feel free to schedule an appointment with one of our expert mechanics here at YourMechanic to come to your location to replace your oil pressure sending unit.