Q: Transmission shifts into 1st and 2nd only. When it goes into 3rd gear, the engine revs up and seems as if the transmission is in neutral.

when i put my jeep into drive and start to go it will go in 1st and 2nd gear and when its got to change to the next 3rd gear its like it goes into neutral and the motor just revs up it started yesterday going down the road about 55-60 mph had to drive it in 2nd gear to get home,the fluid level is were its supposed to be while its hot,i can see were it looks like it is leaking some fluid looks like around the pan and the fluid is dark but could this be a sensor or something making it not go into 3rd gear or just the transmission is going out,revers works normal so does 1st and 2nd. Number on transmission 45RFE

Hi there. According to the shifting charts to your transmission, third and fourth gear both use the Overdrive Clutch as a holder to get the gears with the Underdrive Clutch and the Fourth Clutch. Since your vehicle will only get 1st and 2nd gear and when it goes into 3rd gear is goes into neutral, then the Overdrive Clutch is burned our or not applying. I recommend having the transmission oil serviced along with a filter to see if anything changes. If the symptoms continue, then the transmission Overdrive Clutch needs replaced, which is inside the transmission. If you need further assistance with the transmission going into neutral when 3rd gear is applied, then seek out a professional, such as one from Your Mechanic, to help you.

• Transmission shifts into 1st and 2nd only. When it goes into 3rd gear, the engine revs up and seems as if the transmission is in neutral.