Q: coolant low in my van

asked by on November 08, 2017

we have a 2012 Toyota Sienna and I noticed the coolant was low and I checked in the radiator but there was a bend in the pipe and I could not see the levels. how do I accurately measure the levels? is this okay? if not what is wrong?

The coolant level is checked by looking at the plastic reservoir (overflow) tank. You should see a min. (minimum) and max. (maximum) levels marked on the reservoir. When the vehicle is stone cold, the level of coolant in the tank should be at or above the "min." level. If after adding coolant to the reservoir, you notice the level dropping, over an interval of days or weeks, that would mean that there is a leak somewhere in the system. Engine coolant can leak externally through a hose, radiator, water pump, etc. or internally due to a leaking head gasket and sometimes a leaking intake manifold gasket depending on the engine design. External leaks are typically found by simple pressure testing of the cooling system. If a leak exists in your case, to get the required repair estimated, and the work performed, please request an engine cooling system leak diagnostic and the responding certified mechanic will get this resolved for you. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic as we are always here to help you.