Q: Clunky noises whenever I reverse

I hear a loud clunking noise under the front of my 2012 Chevrolet Impala when I am reversing and turning at the same time. I rarely hear it moving forward but it is detectable at times. What could this be? Sounds bad but doesn’t affect drivability much. This car only has 18,000 miles on it, so it’s new. Should I be worried? It’s an automatic transmission car.

The noise could be coming from your front control arm stabilizer bar link arms. These link arms connect your front stabilizer bar to the lower control arms and the arm joints could be defective. A certified mechanic, such as one with YourMechanic, can check to make sure these are the cause and replace them for you if you are out of warranty with the manufacture. There is also a recall for the lower control arms on your vehicle that need to be done. The recall is 12V377000 dated 08/03/2012 and the dealer will replace the control arms with a new style.