Q: Check engine light, ABS light on

Just had a tune-up a few weeks ago on a 1994 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme S and the folks asked if my check engine lights are coming on and I answered yes sometimes. They did that and did a fuel cleaning, but the light still comes on sometimes. I've heard that if it just comes on and don't blink and everything is ok, then I shouldn't worry. Gas caps are ok and tight, air filter is fine according to the people who did the tune up,so what else could be wrong? As for my ABS light, a shop told me some years ago that it was a TSB on my car, Grand Prix, and Chevy Lum that had that issues and it could been a wire hitting that sensor?

A: Hello, thanks for writing in. If the check ...

Hello, thanks for writing in. If the check engine light is coming on and going off then usually it is not too serious. Most of the time this is caused by a sensor that is not reading quite right. The only way to know for sure would be to scan the computer for codes. If there are none then it needs to be checked when the problem is actually occurring. It can be any number of the sensors. As for the ABS light, this is usually caused by a failure in one of the wheel speed sensors or most of the time the hydraulic module fails. I have seen this more than any other failure on this car. Scanning the ABS computer for codes can help to determine the problem. Either way rest assured that the base brakes should continue to work fine. If you want to have this check engine light and ABS light problem checked, consider YourMechanic, as a certified mechanic can come to your home or office to diagnose and repair this problem.