Q: Change timing belt now or later

good morning, my question is my Honda Pilot with 85,000 miles need to change the timing belt soon, the vehicle don't have any leaking, any noise or engine problem. Please can you provide me any help or concern about this matter. Thanks V/R Juan

Hey there. The timing belt is designed to last a long time and most vehicles recommend replacement between 60,000 to 120,000 miles. If your vehicle recommends a replacement interval of 90,000 miles then you should have it done at or before this mileage. The timing belt keeps the camshaft and crankshaft in time with each other so the valves open and close at the correct time for the engine to run correctly. If the belt breaks then the pistons may come up and contact the valves that are open and damage the motor causing a major repair to be needed. Replace the belt at the recommended time or mileage so that this does not happen. Also you may want to replace other wear components driven by the belt at the same time to avoid extra labor. This could include the water pump and idler pulley.

3. Change timing belt now or later