Q: Catalytic converter lifespan on a '98 Firebird Can bad ignition switch crank the car

98 Firebird; I've changed my catalytic converter 7 years ago with the good one. How long do they last? I changed my CPS a summer before; changed the main computer last summer; Ignition switch can still be bad and crank the car.

A: Yes, it can still be bad and crank the car....

Yes, it can still be bad and crank the car. The ignition switch sends the power to all kinds of things and different parts of the switch. It could be sending power to the start-up but not to the ignition and fuel pump. As for catalytic converters, there is no saying how long they will last. It's an old car and if it burns oil, it's not going to last as long because the oil will eventually clog the stuff up. You never know with the catalytic converter. They don't go bad by themselves. That will rarely happen unless they break and fall apart. They go bad if something clogs them up or overheats them or gets in them and ruins them. If you need work done on your car by a professional, a technician from YourMechanic can come to the car's location to diagnose the vehicle and replace your ignition switch or catalytic converter if necessary.