Q: Car won't turn on without jump, new battery, checked alternator, when on make a loud ticking noise

asked by on June 28, 2017

My car will not turn on without a jump. I've recently changed the oil , new battery , checked thealternator , and changed the water pump. When it's on it also has a loud knocking noise coming from the engine. The battery saving keeps coming on so air and radio are usually off

My car's transmission is unknown to me.

You may have a failing voltage regulator that could be allowing the alternator to supply too much or too little amperage to the battery resulting in the battery never maintaining a consistent charge as it is designed to. The voltage regulator is a unit that regulates the charging of the battery by the alternator. When the voltage regulator is not working properly, this may result in the alternator allowing too much power to be delivered to the battery resulting in damaging wires and prematurely sometimes destroying the battery. A common sign of this is usually the acid inside the battery boiling causing the battery to swell. You may also smell a bit of smoke due to things potentially getting too hot. In other cases it may result in the alternator not supplying enough power to the battery, resulting in undercharging the battery or not charging it at all. I would recommend having an expert from YourMechanic come to your location to diagnose your vehicle’s charging system.