Q: Car won't start, exhaust smoke visible - 1994 Saab 9000

I’m trying to get my Saab running again. Its engine blew up and sat for years after that. It’s been a project on hold. So my friend and I got it out last summer, and we tried starting it up. We replaced the battery, replaced the spark plugs, put in some gas and started it up. We drove it for about 40 minutes and put it away.

We just now got back to working on the car. We couldn’t get it started. I turned the key and could hear the fuel pump for about 4 seconds. It will crank and smokes a little with some exhaust off and on. I tried putting in some gas and spark plugs, but it didn’t help. My PCV hose and valve are dried up and don’t fit the seal. Do you know what I should do now?

A: Back to basics: does it have spark, is it g...

Back to basics: does it have spark, is it getting fuel at the right time, and does the engine have enough compressions when the starter turns it over? You mention "engine blew up" - what does this mean and were proper repairs made to restore it to proper operating condition?

The PCV hose and valve should be replaced, those are causing a false "lean" condition by leaking air to the engine intake. A professional mechanic, like a certified technician from YourMechanic, can quickly assess the basics, diagnose what must be repaired to get your baby going again!