Q: Car won't accelerate randomly when sitting in traffic, no change in engine performance, just won't go for 3 to 4 seconds

asked by on November 17, 2017

My wife's car will randomly not be able to accelerate when sitting in traffic after the car has been running. The engine is not running rough or sluggish but just won't move for a few secinds, then starts to move. When she attempts to start moving the engine just runs normally and then nothing happens, after a few seconds it revs up and goes. This usually happens when going uphill. When she initially steps on the gas pedal, there is no increase in rpm or rev in the engine, just sits idle.

Loss of power Inspection $79.99 - $99.99 Get a Quote

There was a Nissan recall in 2009 for your model year (2006) relative to an air intake fault. Be sure your vehicle was either not included in the recall or, if included, that it was serviced as this particular recall could have some bearing on the issue you are describing. To determine if your vehicle was recalled you can give your VIN number to a Nissan dealer and/or input your VIN at the NHTSA website. No engine response to throttle (accelerator pedal) inputs points to either a throttle body fault (throttle position sensor, mass airflow sensor) or a fault in other engine sensors that rely on a signal from those components. An automotive scanner that can report real time engine operating parameters would typically be used to narrow the diagnostic. If you desire a mobile diagnostic, as well as any required repairs, please use YourMechanic’s engine loss of power diagnostic service request page. If you request that diagnostic, the certified mechanic will get this resolved for you. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic as we are always here to help you.

Experienced Mechanic?

Earn up to $70/hr