Q: Car will not drive or reverse

asked by on November 16, 2017

Car will not drive or reverse, makes a awkward loud noise when pressing gas, put on ODB 2 and it read "Torque converter clutch circuit open" put hand near transmission and when i pulled back it was completely wet and black, could a worn transmission seal cause this?

Generally, this kind of error will trigger OBD code P0740 indicating that there is something wrong with the torque converter clutch. This may be related to any of the following:

-A faulty torque converter clutch solenoid -A damaged torque converter or clutch -Incorrect transmission fluid level -Skipping over transmission maintenance -A restriction within the transmission -Internal transmission damage -A faulty powertrain control module or transmission module

An overfilled transmission could have caused a seal to be damaged resulting in the black substance (likely transmission fluid) ending up on your hand. I would suggest having a professional from YourMechanic come to your location to take a look at the vehicle.