Q: Car stutters when accelerating.

asked by on March 06, 2017

It's below zero, but I have a battery with high CCAs and it was warmed up to normal temp before I started driving. When accelerating on the freeway, the engine stutters and misses as if it's not getting a steady supply of air, fuel, or power. (I'm female with no mechanical ability, this is just a guess based on what it feels like.) When I tried to go from 50 to 70, the check engine light started blinking. I pulled over. I have about 1,000 miles left before my oil change is due. Temp gauge held steady. While in park, I revved it up to 3,000 RPM and held it there; no stuttering, no check engine light, didn't get hotter, no other errors or warnings. Any ideas?

Car idle is rough Inspection $79.99 - $89.99 Get a Quote

You could have gotten some bad gas from a gas station that has a lot of water in the fuel. When there is excessive water in the fuel, the engine will tend to run rough at a low rpm and run smooth at a higher rpm. Since the check engine light was on, I suggest having the computer checked to see what codes maybe stored or pending to have a starting point of diagnostics. If you need further assistance with your engine idle being rough, then seek out a professional, such as one from Your Mechanic, to help you.