Q: Car starts after a few tries, but then dies as soon as I take my foot off gas pedal.

My Jeep is taking a while to start (5-7 tries). It finally roars up, but the engine will die as soon as I take my foot off the gas pedal. Also, the "Check Guages" light occasionally goes on while driving, and the voltometer guage will jump up to the red zone. After 2-3 minutes, the light goes off and the guage goes back to the normal mid-position. Could these be related, and can they be fixed with a YourMechanic visit?

Clean any debris on the battery posts using a mixture of baking soda and water. Under your battery is a pedal that connects to the PCM. Make sure that it is pushed down hard so that your battery does not move around. This is a common issue with a lot of 1997 jeep vehicles and can be easily fixed.

If you need further assistance, ask an experienced technician, such as one from YourMechanic, to inspect your vehicle and diagnose the cause of the stalling. It is also recommended that you get the battery cables serviced at the same time.

3. Car starts after a few tries, but then dies as soon as I take my foot off gas pedal.