Q: Car overheating and smoking

My car has been overheating the last few days with smoke and steam coming out of the engine. The radiator appears to have a few leaks, which may be coming from the hose. It is losing water fast from both the radiator and the coolant tank, and I have to refill it periodically with water.

Hi there. Engine overheating can cause catastrophic engine damage so I suggest you address this issue as soon as possible. I would start by pressure testing the cooling system. This test uses dedicated equipment to pressurize the system and pinpoint and leaks. Then, before performing any repairs, I would perform a block test on your engine. This will determine if damage has already been done to your engine from overheating. A trained mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, can inspect the overheating issue and repair any failing parts.