Q: Car overheating and smoking

asked by on February 06, 2016

My car has been overheating the last few days with smoke and steam coming out of the engine. The radiator appears to have a few leaks, which may be coming from the hose. It is losing water fast from both the radiator and the coolant tank, and I have to refill it periodically with water.

Car is overheating Inspection $79.99 - $89.99 Get a Quote

Hi there. Engine overheating can cause catastrophic engine damage so I suggest you address this issue as soon as possible. I would start by pressure testing the cooling system. This test uses dedicated equipment to pressurize the system and pinpoint and leaks. Then, before performing any repairs, I would perform a block test on your engine. This will determine if damage has already been done to your engine from overheating. A trained mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, can inspect the overheating issue and repair any failing parts.