Q: Car is overheating, smoking, and now radiator fluid is spitting through the heater.

My vehicle started overheating I realized there was a crack in the radiator. I sealed it to the best of my ability until I'm able to get a new radiator. Radiator will not get here till the 28th. For a couple weeks had no problem with it then today it got below freezing outside. Well it started smoking again and reving up. The heater was only blowing cold air and it decided to shut off at a stop sign. It would turn over but wouldn't start. I was finally able too start it again but had to turn it back off because it started smoking and spitting radiator fluid through the heater. I was told I probably will need to replace the entire cooling system.

Hi there. Sounds like the heater core has a leak and needs replaced. I recommend removing the heater core hoses to the heater core on the firewall in the engine compartment and routing the hoses together until you replace the heater core. This will bypass the heater core and it will be cold in the car, but the vehicle will drive until you can replace the heater core. Also, I recommend replacing the cabin air filter as it may full of engine coolant from the heater core leaking. I recommend seeking out a professional, such as one from Your Mechanic, to help you diagnose your cooling system for any additional leaks and to help you solve your overheating issue.

3. Car is overheating, smoking, and now radiator fluid is spitting through the heater.