Q: Can you operate safely with the trunk lid open?

Can you operate safely with the trunk lid open?

A: Having the trunk open while the engine is r...

Having the trunk open while the engine is running is not a wise idea, although it may be necessary in some instances. Your car’s exhaust contains carbon monoxide, which is toxic and cannot be seen or smelled. If the trunk is open, it’s possible that carbon monoxide from the exhaust will enter the cabin. Here’s how to protect yourself and your passengers:

1. Make sure your windows are open

2. Select fresh air on the air conditioner/heater controls

3. Set the fan to full

4. Close the trunk as soon as possible

Tip

Carbon monoxide from the exhaust can enter through an open trunk lid if you’re driving the car, as well as if you’re parked with the trunk open. Always keep the windows open and the air set to fresh/full force to protect against carbon monoxide poisoning. Close the trunk as soon as possible.