Q: can the emergency break "seize up" and cause a screeching sound even when the hand break isn't engaged? this is a 2004 Toyota Cor

can the emergency break "seize up" and cause a screeching sound even when the hand break isn't engaged? this is a 2004 Toyota Corolla

If you have not touched the emergency brake, it cannot activate or seize on its own. The emergency brake mechanism, if not regularly used, will tend to get corroded and sticky but if you have not used it prior to, or during this incident when you heard the noise, it cannot be the cause of the problem. To have the noise pinpointed and have any required repairs performed, you can schedule service using YourMechanic’s vehicle noise diagnostic service request page. If you request that service, the responding certified mechanic will definitely find the origin of the noise and then let you know of any required service. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic as we are always here to help you.

3. can the emergency break "seize up" and cause a screeching sound even when the hand break isn't engaged? this is a 2004 Toyota Cor