Q: Buzzing noise under dashboard

My car is making a buzzing noise and sounds like it’s coming through the dashboard. It get’s worse when I am accelerating with my foot on the gas. I had the whole car restored. I decided to disconnect the speedometer, but it still makes the buzzing, scraping noise. The compressor was rebuilt and a little noisy when it’s engaged at an idle. Do you have any idea what might be wrong?

A: Hello. A buzzing noise that goes up and dow...

Hello. A buzzing noise that goes up and down with engine RPM is usually caused by an issue with the alternator. It is either caused by it being shorted internally, it being loosely connected, or a bad ground connection to the engine. A loose ground will cause electrical interference which causes this noise. These all will need to be checked first. If you would like this to be checked for you, a certified professional from YourMechanic can come to your home or office to inspect the noise and advise on a repair.