Q: Broken bolt

When replacing the thermostat housing, one of the bolts was so locked we bent tools trying to loosen it... Eventually we had to break it with a chisel just to get the part replaced. I have two questions:

1. Where would I go about finding a bolt to replace it?

2. Is it safe to drive it this way until it is replaced?

Hi There, Unfortunately, this is a fairly common problem. The thermostat housing is obviously exposed to excessive heat/cooling cycling as well as water, which can create havoc on bolts as you have discovered. You will need to visit your local Ford dealership to find the correct replacement bolt for this. I would definitely not recommend driving until this is fixed. It may sound like not much, but one bolt missing may mean the difference between the housing sealing properly and not sealing properly. If it does not seal properly, you will definitely be looking at potential leaking and overheating problems resulting in much bigger problems. I would suggest playing it safe and replacing the bolt before driving it again.