Q: Anti-theft system activates and car stalls

Without warning, the anti-theft system independently activates and then my car stalls, also without warning. This problem has been recurring and the anti-theft warning light comes on. Even with the key in the ignition, my car will not start. I took it to the mechanic’s shop and was told that the instrument panel cluster or central computer would need replacement. He referred me to a dealer, but before going there I would like your assessment. What do you think would fix this?

Hey there. If you have a "chip key", try replacing it and re-programming to recognize the new key. Sometimes the keys will develop faults. If it is not the key, there is a specific Diagnostic Procedure for this issue in the FSM (factory service manual). Prior to performing that diagnostic, it is useless to guess. Please note that if the problem is "intermittent" (i.e., the worst scenario in terms of diagnosing something because the problem is NOT always there), you might be in a situation where you have to replace a BCM or PCM just because you have ruled everything else out (i.e., wiring faults and so forth). If you would like to have this checked, a qualified pro from YourMechanic can come to your car’s location to diagnose the stalling issue and pinpoint what should be done.

3. Anti-theft system activates and car stalls